Lentils for breakfast- welcome

Here is your invitation to sample beautiful recipes that are good for you, good for the planet and good to eat. They mainly feature plants, because that's what I try to eat the most. I am not a fancy cook, but I believe that food is one of our greatest pleasures and deserves to be celebrated. Real food, whole food, kind food. Welcome to the feast!

Friday, 28 October 2011

Sarah Wilson's lentils

Well, you can all relax. I think I have found my perfect recipe for breakfast lentils.

Perfect because it's just about foolproof for me to make. No onion chopping. No measuring. No hovering and checking, unless I stop paying attention and let the lentils boil over at the beginning. And the result is very pleasing.

I found the recipe on Sarah Wilson's website. She is a no-sugar convert and eats some fairly unconventional breakfasts. For example, she likes lentil sprouts lightly steamed with a little walnut oil stirred through. That sounds lovely, but not exactly filling and it would require lots of chomping.

And with this lentil recipe she whisks them once they're cooked before adding the spices in oil (or butter, a la Stephanie as I like them). I tried whisking the first time I had a go at this recipe, but couldn't tell if I was making the lentils creamy, as she said it would. I've made it a couple of times since, no whisking.

I add roasted sweet potato and a green vegetable as usual for my breakfast, plus a boiled egg and a couple of spoons of yoghurt to serve. The first time I made paneer marinated in yoghurt with a spoonful of tandoori mix stirred through. It was a lovely addition: chewy, flavoursome and filling. A pleasant change from a boiled egg. Peas make a great addition while it's heating in the morning as well.

Without further ado . . .

Sarah Wilson's lentils

1 cup red lentils
clove of garlic
turmeric
butter or oil
cumin seeds
chilli
lemon juice

Rinse the lentils and put them in the saucepan with a finely sliced garlic and a teaspoon of turmeric. Cover with water. Bring to the boil. Skim (yuck), and then turn down the heat. Simmer for an hour, maybe 50 mins if you think the lentils look ready. Keep topping up the water (or I've used vegetable stock, which was lovely). Once the lentils are thick and soupy, heat the butter in a small saucepan. Add a teaspoon of cumin seeds and the chilli and heat until fragrant. Stir into the lentils with a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle of salt. Voila.
The paneer has taken over this pic. There are turmeric-golden, non-whisked lentils under there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment